History of St James’
A brief history of St James’ with St Peter and St Philip, Islington
In medieval times, the land on which our church stands was owned by the Canons of St Paul’s Cathedral – reflected in the names of surrounding streets, Prebend Street, St Paul’s Street, Canon Street, Rectory Street and Bishop Street.
The Clothworkers’ Company acquired the land during the reign of Henry VIII. Above the internal west door to the Church you will see a small effigy of William Lamb, a Gentleman of the Chapel Royal who became Master of the Clothworkers in 1569. St James’ owes much to him and his Company.
The present Church was built in 1875 by FD Porter, chief architect to the Clothworkers Company, replacing the original Chapel in Cripplegate (close to the Roman site of the old London Wall). The Clothworkers continued to attend services here until 1989.
St James’ took over the parish of St Philip (Linton Street) in 1953 and St Peter (Devonia Road) after its closure in 1981.
The new Church Hall was opened on St James’ day in July 1995 – afterwards receiving a visit from HRH the Prince of Wales during the blessing by Rt Revd Richard Chartres, Bishop of London.
Historic detail is taken, with permission, from St James’ Church, Islington – A History by Peter Baugh.
More information can be found on St James’ Wikepedia page.